Friday, January 22, 2010

Thirty-one

Last week:

Josiah: "Is it your birthday?"
Me: "Yes"
J, "But you didn't make a cake. Did you forget?"
M, "No, I didn't forget, but Mommy has a lot of things to do, and it wasn't a priority."
(Josiah's face shows this is totally incomprehensible to him.)
M, "If you think I need a cake, you should tell Daddy."

(Josiah is thinking, but not accepting this answer.)

J, "Well, (nodding) I know all about making cakes. all you need is (holding up one finger) chocolate. And sprinkles (holding up two fingers)... and frosting (three fingers)... And there's something else... I can't remember what.
"How old are you going to be?"

M, "Thirty-one"
J, "Thirty-one?!! Is that a lot?"
M, "Yes, a lot."
J, "Then you need 31 candles, like 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10... Can you count to 31?"




Ammin did come through with the cake, an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins, and it was delicious.


















1 comment: